Minolta Dimage 7
Bugs and Tips
[ Version française ]
A firmware update is available for download since jan 2002 (three versions
Europe and Japan).
I bought one of the first Dimage 7 available in France. My firmware version
is A1v021e.A175 (to know your's, go to setup mode and press the subject-program
A new firmware upgrade 2.00 is available (not free), it add some capabilities
of the dimage 7i to the dimage 7.
- AF is usually slow to very slow at long focal (between 100 and 200mm), the
night portrait subject-program mode (character with a star icon) limit autofocus
between 2m and infinity, focusing is then a lot faster.
The AF/AEL button can help for quickly focusing (I set it to AF/AE toggle)
instead of half pressing shutter-release.
- Use nothing less than 1600 mA NIMH batteries. And 1800 mA or 2000 mA are
If your Dimage 7 heats a lot, the battery may be in cause, so you can try
I use nimh 1800mA GP batteries and I can take nearly 200 pictures (in the
same day) without heat problem.
- To optimise battery usage, set the "EVF autoswith" option to
"EVF auto on". The right thumb area will also be cooler.
- Use the DIVU program to get true and vibrant colors. But always keep you
original shots for archival.
- When I need to use 800 iso sensibility, I found the noise to be more acceptable
by setting the "Color mode" to "B&W" (black and white),
or reducing image size to 1600x1200.
- I set "sharpness" on "soft" to get less artifacts and
more compact files.
- Set the "File # memory" option to "Yes" if you want
the D7 to remember the number of the last picture taken and name new shots
with that number + 1.
Use the "Delete" "All Frames" option of the D7 playback
menu to delete shots from compact flash card after saving them to computer,
do not delete them from the computer.
Bugs (with advices) :
- I bought a 3600 HS optional flash. High speed sync is supported, but not
The bug is that with bounce flash, the D7 overexpose greatly.
Tips => To get correct exposure with bounce
flash, set the flash to 35mm or 50mm focal dist, go to manual exposure
mode and choose for example 1/30 speed and f4 aperture.
This bug is corrected by the firmware upgrade 1.21.
- My D7 seldom lock itself. Buttons don't respond any more. It occurs by switching
from recording mode to playback mode, and then quickly coming back to recording
mode (with red del lighting). The only solution is then to open and close
the battery door. It didn't occured since I upgraded to 1.21 firmware.
- Occasionally, just after taking a picture, my D7 seems to shut off for some
seconds, and then turn on again as if the camera had rebooted !
- Manual focusing distance is lost when the D7 turn automatically off. Setting
the "power save" time to "10 min" can help.
- Sometimes, my D7 greatly overexpose (picture nearly white).
As if the choosen speed or aperture wasn't applied.
My solution was to shift the program and try again, a F0.5 step shift
often give a correct exposure.
I set an "instant playback" of "10 sec" to check
if the exposure was correct.
I eventually found that setting my camera in A mode, at F4.5, the exposure
is always correct.
- My D7 underexpose a lot at 1/45 speed (with or without flash). Avoid
that speed setting. Unfortunately, this speed is often selected in P
mode with flash, so a good choice is to use S exposure mode with flash.
Closing the aperture make things better.
- If I set the focal to 28mm, set the exposure mode to M, choose a F
2.8 aperture and 1/125 speed, pop up the flash and take a picture !
You can see a totally black frame. Once again, avoid full aperture with
that speed setting.
Those three bugs appeared after approximately 1000 shots in nov 2001,
and the problem went worse with time.
I put some samples on the web (overexposure
In march 2002, my camera was repaired by Minolta France. They said they
had adjusted exposure. Now it works fine, the exposure is always good.
- When using 3600 HS flash, the D7 always fire a pre-flash (in ADI and Pre-flash
TTL modes). I'd like a flash mode without pre-flash.
The firmware upgrade 2.00 seems to add a new manual flash mode.
- For slow AF problem, I'd like to be able to limit focusing range like on
pro zooms. A new recording menu option would be for example : full range /
min dist to 3m / 2m to infinity / 4m to infinity
I would also like to have if possible a third focus mode between wide focus
area and spot focus point, this one would use only the central AF sensor of
the wide focus area and would be faster.
An hyperfocal mode would be nice too (in wide angle).
A good camera.
The firmware upgrade make things better.
Contact me : Email
- My Dimage 7i page
- Unofficial Moderated Minolta Digital Camera Forum
: very interesting forum.
last update 11 august 2003